I made rye bread in the breadmaker today - using the recipe book I always trust. The Bread Machine Cookbook by Marjie Lambert.
I made a 1-1/2 pound loaf recipe and cut the dough into half to make two smaller rounds. I baked it for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I shaped each half into rounds and rolled those lightly in white flour. After rising one more hour, I used a pastry brush and a beaten egg and generously painted the egg on the rounds.
So good!
- 1-1/4 c water
- 1-1/2 T vegetable oil
- 2 T molasses
- 1-1/2 tsp.salt
- 1 T. caraway seeds
- 2-1/4 c bread flour
- 1 cup + 2 T rye flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye flour)
- 1 T. yeast
I placed them all in the breadmaker in the order of ingredients above and set for dough. When the dough is ready after 1-1/2 hours, remove it from the machine and shape.
Set it in a warm place and let it rise* 1 hour. Place on a pan and bake for 30 minutes.
It's great warm (like any bread out there!)

