Sunday, October 6, 2019

Apple Pie Spice

I can't find Apple Pie Spice in the stores, anymore. Plenty of that pumpkin stuff, but no apple. Why, you may say, do you need Apple Pie Spice when you can just add the spices that are listed in a recipe? Well, my apple pie doesn't follow a recipe and I want to throw in a good combination of spices all at once without measuring. (Normally, two tablespoons can be added in lieu of your usual spices.) I like cardamom. It's expensive, but the taste is a good addition. My apple pie spice includes it, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and the requisite major spice - cinnamon. 8 tablespoons ground cinnamon 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg 3 teaspoons ground cardamom 2 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground allspice Mix it well and store in a glass container. Makes 2/3 cup.