Monday, June 17, 2013

Apple, Leek, and Squash Gratin among Other Tasty Things

On June 17th my book group met  on Prospect Street to discuss What My Mother Gave Me by Elizabeth Benedict.  The book was published right around the time I decided to research my mother's antique family glasses and write one of my weekly columns for the  newspaper so I hoped others will share their own memories of mother-gifts while we eat dinner. I'm a huge fan of Ms. Benedict's book and have been recommending it wildly. While others aren't necessarily memoir lovers like I am, there were several hours of conversation last night about our mothers, families and gifts we've received from them. (Or not, I might add.)  One member of the group shared her own essay (worthy of the book!) with us and I was enrapt listening to her read it.

First course was Corn-Celery Chowder which is a variation on the Crab Corn Chowder I have posted on this blog.  I omitted the crab and added diced cooked potatoes simmer in chicken stock.  I made a roux of butter and flour and the soup is creamy and thick and very delicious! (Gerry sat in the kitchen and chowed down two bowls.)  I added our own herbs from the porch  herb pots - tarragon, thyme and chives.

Accompanying the soup was Ricotta Braid with Honey Butter - what would dinner at the Canelli's be without that bread and honey-orange butter (made with honey from our own bees.)  This time I made a four piece braid - something I saw on YouTube recently. It worked perfectly.

I made a big salad with mixed greens, strawberries, tiny red and yellow tomatoes and honey-toasted almonds with Poppyseed Dressing.  I tossed in some fresh cilantro and our own parsley for good measure.

For two more vegetarian courses I found Meatless: More than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes from the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living.   
I'll link the recipes here: Apple, Leek and Squash Gratin (with fresh sage from the porch planter at 305 Prospect Street) and Mushroom, Spinach and Scallion Tart  (fresh dill and cilantro from our Marion herb planters.)  I think the gratin would be a wonderful addition to a Thanksgiving dinner.  The tart needs to be served immediately; the phyllo dough got a bit soggy while it stayed warm in the warming oven for two hours.

Dessert?  Kentucky Bourbon Cake, of course.