Sunday, February 4, 2024

Spinach Fettuccini with Pine Nuts, Creme Fraiche, Bacon and Pecorino/Parmesan

Using the homemade fettuccini I'd made earlier, we had Julie and her family for dinner last night, I cooked the fettuccini for a few minutes and drained it in a colander, Because I was adding it to a heated sauce, I left it to cool. (Don't forget to save a cup of the pasta water!)

I had cooked bacon earlier and left the bits and some of the fat in the pan. To this, I added some good butter, a bit of pepper-flavored olive oil and about a cup of pine nuts. I tossed in some herbs d'provence and left these to simmer. Right before serving dinner, I added 1/2-3/4 cup creme fraiche*, a cup of cooked and crumbled bacon and one cup of finely grated Pecorino and Parmesan cheeses.  I added a bit of pasta water to thin it out and then added the cooked pasta to the hot sauce.

I served it immediately with chopped parsley on top and a bit more finely grated cheese.

We served this with grilled thickly cut tuna steaks, seasoned with Kinder's Butter Steakhouse and butter on top at the end.

Gerry made yummy St.Elderberry martinis and his famous guacamole. We had fresh ricotta bread, salad and a trio of ice creams for dessert. Happy birthday, Julie!

*My creme fraiche hack is 1/3 Greek yogurt, 1/3 Mascarpone cheese and 1/3 sour cream. Using blender or immersion blender to cream together.