Monday, November 6, 2023

Apple Sugar Plum Pie


While I was visiting our local Florida neighborhood library, I took out Me, Myself and Pie by Sherry Gore. This recipe looked like a good take on apple pie with a twist and I've adapted it to my liking. 

The farmers markets here in Florida are wonderful all year long, and believe it or not, there are lots of varieties in apples. I think I used Honey Crisps for this pie. I also got about 8 sweet and juicy red-purple plums.

I decided to make two smaller pies in my fluted ceramic pie plates. These are 5.5 inch ceramic pie dishes with nice fluted edges that are easy to work with. I also used some leaf mold that have a push handle to emboss the pastry dough. I use a pastry brush and light cream on the underside of the leaves and place them on the crust. Then I dab brushes of the cream (lightly) on the entire crust and leaves. I've found that preheating the oven to 425 and then turning it down to 375 works for me. I test the apples for doneness and remove the pies from the oven when they are golden.

About six large crisp apples, cored, peeled and cut into chunks.  About 8 nice plums cut into chunks after removing the seed.

4 T of sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon or apple pie seasoning. Use more of each to your liking. Place all in a plastic bag or dish and mix well.  Add 1 T. Wondra flour and some orange peel. If you are preparing the fruit before you are getting ready to bake, sprinkle them with lemon or orange juice. Use more sugar if you want a really sweet pie to counteract the  juice. 

Prepare your crusts and make the pastry larger than you will use for the pie plate. Roll them thin but not so that they will break. Spoon the fruit into the pie nice and high. Cut chunks of butter and place them between chunks. About1/2 T for each plate.

Cover the pie with the crust and press down on the fluted edges. If you prefer lattice, you will see the beautiful color of the plums. Slice four to five 1/2 inch openings in the top crust.  Bake until apples are not too crisp but the crust is nice and golden. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.