Thursday, February 1, 2024

Dirty Martini Pasta

Danish Creamery.com (Photo)

I found this recipe online and decided to purchase some large Martini glasses to serve it in. In looking again for the recipe I learned that it is a popular thing! I found the original recipe and tweaked it, having read that Castelvetrano olives are the very best to use. They are a beautiful green and the brine is lovely in the recipe.

The recipe I used was from Danish Creamery and asked to use Danish butter. I bought some Italian butter* instead and used it. I didn't use the crab meat recommended, but it might be pretty tasty with any kind of additional seafood, fish or meat. *I used some chilled American butter (Plugra) and it was just as good  

Cook and drain a pound of pasta. I made fresh Angel Hair pasta. Reserve 1 cup of the water!

Melt 2 T butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add 1 cup of torn pitted Castelvetrano* olives - reserve a few whole olives for garnish (see above photo) and 2 minced (or more) garlic cloves. Cook olives and garlic about 1 minute in the butter.  *Also reserve 1/3 cup of the olive brine.

Add 1/3 cup of gin and cook about three minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Tonight added one pkg. of quickly sautéed cubed prosciutto.  Last week I added about 1/3 pkg of cooked crumbled bacon. 

Whisk in the reserved brine, 1/2 cup of creme fraiche** and 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid. (Note: I whisked these three ingredients together before hand.) 

Transfer pasta using tongs into the skillet and toss. Cook until everything is nice and thick. Add in 3 T. cubed cold butter, zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley, and half a cup of pecorino/parmesan. If using seafood, toss it in. Add another splash or two of the pasta water to loosen the sauce. Add salt and pepper, swirl into glasses, garnish and serve immediately with warm bread and butter|olive oil. 

**I made my own creme fraiche using 1/3 full-fat sour cream, 1/3 Greek yogurt and 1/3 mascarpone to make 1 cup and used half of that. You can add more if you feel it is needed.

Tonight I added a butterflied grilled shrimp or two to each filled glass.