Monday, December 22, 2014

Betsy's Pumpkin Bread

Years ago, when my friend Betsy was a young wife, she made pumpkin bread in empty coffee cans. It was moist and yummy and I've made only that pumpkin bread recipe for years.

Heavens to Betsy, but I couldn't find my recipe this holiday season when I needed it. Bless this day and age when I can text a lifelong friend and she can text her mother and voila! The recipe appeared in my email within an hour.

Here it is:

3/4 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. each salt, allspice, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
4 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups pumpkin
1-1/2 c butter
5-1/4 cups flour

Mix well and add 3/4 c. nuts or raisins, ginger chips, cranberries (fresh and chopped or dried). Grease flour pans.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I cut a medium-sized sugar pumpkin in half, scooped out the seeds and placed it cut side down on a cookie sheet. I roasted it for about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. This yielded about 3 cups pumpkin.