Friday, September 1, 2023

Dark Coffee Ice Cream

Use the regular ice cream base (see Sweet Basil).

Optional Instructions: This is a 2023 update to this recipe - today I used 3 oz. softened Mascarpone cheese as a substitute to the cream cheese in the base recipe. I forgot the salt but I'm not sure it made a difference. I also used a combination of 2% milk, heavy cream and half&half that I had leftover from our birthday celebration and NanaPapaCamp in August. 1 cup heavy cream, 2 cups milk and the rest half&half (a bit over 1 cup.) 

In addition, I steeped the custard mixture for 5 minutes with 1/3 cup of roughly ground coffee. I placed a sieve lined with fine cheesecloth on top of the pan I use to cool the custard over ice water and let it drip. When cooled, I wrung the cheesecloth out to get all the dark custard. 

I added 1T vanilla bean paste, and 1 tsp coffee extract. When packing the ice cream I sprinkled layers with espresso sugar.


Regular instructions: After the custard is taken off the stove, stir in 1T coffee extract and 1T vanilla bean paste.  Churn and at the very last couple minutes, sprinkle in about 1/8 c. of espresso sugar.

I also added very roughly-ground Red Barn Coffee Roasters American Espresso beans to the latest batch. YUM. ( I Love this coffee which is local in MA.)

I pick up flavorings, sugars, extracts, salts, oils, vinegars etc. when in HomeGoods, any TJX store, or Williams-Sonoma in the clearance section. It's usually an incredible savings. This is how I ended up with these ingredients for the coffee ice cream. I keep the extracts in a thin cupboard that someone made out of an antique washboard (purchased in Texas in the 1990s.)


Add caption
Add caption