Friday, February 21, 2014

A Year of Vegetarian Soups

I've had the book 1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World for a few years.  I love looking at the photographs - one recipe to a page in a large-page format.  I haven't used it much because we aren't really vegetarians. Last weekend, I decided to try to use this cookbook more and if I make 2 soups per week, this book will afford me at least a year of soups.

There are over 100 soups listed in the beginning pages of this huge book and I started with the Asparagus Soup last weekend.  It was good and I admit you don't need a recipe - I've made something like it for years now.  But here it is:

Asparagus Soup
At least one bunch of asparagus, preferable some tiny tips
3 cups vegetable broth
¼ cup butter
1 onion
3 T. flour
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 T lemon juice
2 cups milk
4-6 T heavy or light cream

Salt and pepper

Cut off at least a handful of the tips, perhaps all (1-1/2 to 2 inch cuts).  Cut the rest of the asparagus into the same lengths but only place the stalks in 2 cups of simmering vegetable broth.  Simmer for about 10 minutes and let stand so that the flavors meld.  You can do this in advance.  

Saute 1 onion, chopped, in 1/4 c. butter until wilted and near golden.  Add 3 T. flour or Wondra and cook until slightly browned.  Strain the broth from the asparagus right into the onion/flour and thicken.  Add 1 T. lemon juice and 2 cups milk and heavy cream.  Do not boil.  Add salt and pepper and 1/4 c. cilantro.

Garnish with tips, extra cilantro and sour cream.

Next recipe: Exotic Mushroom Soup