Thursday, November 27, 2014

Spiced Cranberry Ketchup

My friend, Irene, made a wonderful cranberry ketchup to go with her Lemon-Thyme Turkey (delicious!) at our staff Thanksgiving luncheon November 18th. When we pressed for the recipe, she admitted that she tweaked and adapted a recipe from Food & Wine online. There are more than a few tweaks!

I think I might try twice the amount of spices next time. This is a perfect ketchup for leftover turkey sandwiches, although we loved ours with our potluck dinner.

1 tablespoon olive oil (which is perfect because my daughter is allergic to peanuts)
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped shallots (I used more and simply sliced them)
2 bags fresh cranberries
1-1/2 pomegranate juice
1/2 cup combination of any vinegars (I used rice, cider and white balsamic)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger or perhaps more
1/8 tsp. cinnamon or perhaps more
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom or perhaps more
1/8 tsp. ground allspice or perhaps more
pinch of cocoa powder (I used more like 1 tsp.)
1/2 c. maple syrup
salt

Heat the oil and sauté the shallots until softened - 4-8 minutes. Add everything else and boil over low heat at least 30 min. until the mixture is very thick.

Let cool and then transfer to food processor and puree. Season with salt. This made four 1/2 pint jars of ketchup. Plenty for sharing. It's supposed to keep two weeks in the frig but I imagine it will keep through the holidays. Process it in a water bath if you want to preserve it.