Saturday, January 20, 2024

Dropped Egg, Pork and Vegetable Soup

I made this soup for our Year of the Dragon Feast 2024. It was delicious and made about twice what we needed for our starter in small bowls. Each very hot bowl was garnished with sliced snow peas, cilantro leaves and thinly sliced scallions.

I began with a cut of pork I found in the grocery store which was like a thick-cut bacon - or fresh and unsalted "salt" pork. Any pork cutlet would work. 

I cut the pork into very small cubes, discarding some of the fattiest bits. I probably had a cup of pork bits and added them to a hot pan. Cook on high heat, stirring, until you have enough fat to cook the onion (below.) Discard any pieces that are all fat. 

I diced one medium yellow onion and added it to the cooked meat on medium heat until the onion was golden. I then refrigerated the mix because I was preparing ingredients beforehand and also wanted to start with clean pan.

I prepared small dices of a few fresh carrots and a stalk of celery. I also prepped the garnishes (above)  and whisked six fresh eggs, breaking all the yolks. I had these handy for the last minute preparation of the soup.

An hour before guests were to arrive, I emptied two cartons of organic chicken stock (8 cups) to a small Dutch oven to heat on low (not simmering but hot), adding in the pork/onion mixture.

When the guests were at the table, I raised the temperature to high and tossed in the carrots and celery. I added a bit of salt and pepper and cooked these briefly until the carrots were JUST cooked. I turned down the heat so that the soup was not boiling and gently poured the egg into the soup in a stream.

I immediately ladled the soup into bowls and garnished the bowls with the very hot soup and served.