Saturday, February 22, 2014

Bell Pepper and Chili Soup

I've had the book 1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World for a few years.  I love looking at the photographs - one recipe to a page in a large-page format.  I haven't used it much because we aren't really vegetarians. Last weekend, I decided to try to use this cookbook more and if I make 2 soups per week, this book will afford me at least a year of soups.

Here's the next on page 14:

You can also serve this cold with 1/3 cup of plain yogurt

1/2 pound of red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green chili, chopped
1-1/4 cups strained tomatoes
2-1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken stock)
2 T chopped basil
basil sprigs

Place red bell peppers in a large pan with the onion, garlic, and chili.  Add strained tomatoes and broth.  Boil, stirring well.  Simmer and continue to cook the vegetables for 20 min.  Drain, reserving the liquid and vegetables separately.  Using the back of a spoon, press the vegetables through a strainer or process with a food processor or blender.  Return this puree to a pan with the cooking liquid.  Add basil and heat.  Garnish with basil sprigs.