Saturday, November 9, 2019

Cranberry-Walnut-Chunky Apple Cake

This week, our New Bedford friend Karen Hetu (and Oreo's breeder) dropped off several pounds of fresh cranberries from her bog. They are amazing - so big and luscious. (See photo that compares them to a dime and quarter.) I was making a Chunky Apple Cake for dessert, so decided to add the berries and about 1-1/2 cups of chopped walnuts to the batter. I knew that our guests from Asia (YSEALI fellows Shirin from the Philippines and Shwe from Myanmar) needed to have some local cranberries and apples while they stayed at our home in Marion for three days.

I cut about a cup or so in halves and combined them with the chunks of apples in a Grove Collaborative reusable bag and 3/4 cup sugar. I added about 1 T Citron Sea Salt flakes instead of squeezing in some lemon juice. I also left out the salt in the dry ingredients. I baked for about an hour on 350 degrees in Convection Bake in a bundt pan. The batter rose beautifully, but not too high.

They had cake again for breakfast! I guess they loved it!