Thursday, May 21, 2020

Hummingbird Cake

Update! During social isolation (COVID-19), I'm baking some of my favorites. I finally found flour at Costco, but I used King Arthur Cake Flour this time around.

The cake was once again delicious and this time I creamed the oil and the sugar, added the eggs, beating until creamy. I then added the fruit and nuts and made a well in these wet ingredients. I gently stirred in the dry ingredients, folding until mixed. I used three layers but might try four next time. I doubled up all ingredients for the frosting with the exception of confectionary sugar. I used about half, lightly frosting the sides as if only for a crumb coating. I used the portrait function on my iPhone for the photo which is much better than the original!

April 18, 2017.  I'm trying out cake recipes for this year's Volunteer Appreciation Tea at the Library. I love Cakewalk by Robbin Gourley, especially her personal stories about each cake, so I've picked three cakes to try before making the final version for April 28th: Hummingbird Cake, Walnut Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting, and Red Velvet (or Hand-Me-Down Cake).

The Hummingbird Cake is currently the winner. Gerry took 3/4 of it to work this morning and saved a bit for himself. This cake is moist and lovely with bananas, pecans, and pineapple.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment to line three or four 8" cake pans. (I used three.)

Combine 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 t. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon. Mix well. Make a well in the middle and add 3 eggs and 1 cup of vegetable oil and 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir these ingredients until moistened and don't beat! Mix in 8 oz. crushed pineapple in its juice, 1 cup chopped pecans, and 2 cups of chopped bananas.

Spoon this batter into prepared pans and spread evenly, baking for 20-25 minutes until a bamboo skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pans 10 minutes and then cook completely on racks.

For the frosting, combine 8 oz. cream cheese, 16 oz. confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1 tsp. vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy and frost the cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans around the border and on the cake plate.