Sunday, August 5, 2018

Ginger Ice Cream

I love ginger. Anything ginger. It's my favorite flavor.

Prepare your regular ice cream base, adding 1/4 c of ginger puree. I used a jar of Australian Crystallized Ginger Puree I bought at some point at the Williams-Sonoma Outlet. I think you could add ground ginger instead. The Ginger People sell all kinds of ginger products on Amazon that you might try. Just Add has an unsweetened ginger puree in a tube.

Before putting the base over ice to cool, add 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger (I buy it online in a large bag to add to biscotti - that's how much I love ginger!) You could also add a touch of real ginger extract for added ginger flavor.

When the ice cream has frozen and you are packing it into a container, layer ground gingersnaps and ginger preserve between scoops. Freeze!

Update: I made my own ginger puree. I bought a jar of it in the Indian market near us (about 12 oz.) I mixed the puree with sugar to make it sweet. It works great!