Thursday, December 21, 2017

Bettye's Banana Bread

This recipe is from one of the books I must have received from my cookbook club decades ago when I was a young unmarried woman. I know I've been making this banana bread for about 45 years. The book is The Gift-Giver's Cookbook (1971) by Jane Green and Judith Choate. I'm sorry to say I'm not sure where my cookbook is but the recipe's been copied in several places.

Bettye's Banana Bread

Cream 1/3 c. butter with 2/3 cup sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Add 2 eggs one at a time. Blend in 3 mashed bananas. Bananas should be 1/4 c. to 1/3 c. each and for this recipe I would want at least 1 to 1-1/4 cup of mashed bananas.

Sift together 1-3/4 cup flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the flour to the sugar/banana mixture together until mixed. Add 1 tsp. vanilla. Add nuts if desired.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees in a 9" loaf pan until tester comes out clean.