Sunday, April 12, 2015

Baked Eggs with Fresh Cheese and Uncured Ham

Yesterday, we traveled about on the South Coast and found a small shop called Milk and Honey in Tiverton, RI. I must admit, we were a bit disappointed in the fact that there was very little honey in this shop, but there was a great selection of cheese.  I bought something called Cloumage which is a fresh cheese like a softened buttery cream cheese in a tub. It wasn't too expensive (we also bought some Rubiolo which was a bit pricey.)

This morning, I melted butter in some medium, deep crocks (see photo - these are like ramekins but are deep and not tiny.)
I lined the crocks with three slices of uncured Trader Joe (no nitrite) Black Forest Ham. I sauteed two shallots in butter, salt and pepper until they were nice and golden and limp and placed them on the ham. Then I spooned about 3 T of the fresh cheese on top and sprinkled it with about 12-15 fresh cilantro leaves. I dropped in two fresh eggs (without breaking), topped with fresh pepper and sea salt and lightly sprinkled with Trader Joe Bread Crumbs. I baked them for about 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven until I could see that the whites were cooked and the yolks not completely.

Yummy! We had no breads in the house so I added Asiago and Cheddar Cheese Crisps.