Sunday, September 26, 2021

Italian Plum Torte

One of my professional colleagues and Facebook Friends posted a terrific photo and recipe for Italian Plum Torte. Italian plums (prunes fruit) are abundant in September - even in New England. Thanks Christi and April for the inspiration!

I decided I wanted to make Marian Burros' famous torte, too! (NYT has some great articles about the recipe and its history.)  The farmstand I was referred to was too far away.  I didn't know that the local grocery stores sold the plums and was thrilled to pick up two bags.

The torte is delicious. I had made a dried plum cake a few years ago that everyone loved. Why had it taken so long to make the fresh version?

You should have a 9-inch or a 10-inch cake pan. But, I imagine any low ceramic dish would do. I preferred to use parchment paper, turn the torte over onto a plate, and then turn it back onto the cake plate under my cake dome. So I used the cake pan.


First, slice the plums in half and remove the pit. The torte calls for 24 halves, but I think I used 30. The size will make a difference. 

Cream 3/4 or 1 cup of sugar with 1/2 c. butter at room temperature. I always over-cream these days, until the sugar and butter are really incorporated. Add 2 eggs and cream a bit more. Add 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and a pinch of salt and mix well. It's that easy.



Spoon the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Place the plums skin-side up on top of the batter, covering it. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes until a cake tester is batter-free.

The NYT article suggests adaptions you might make with spices, extracts and flours. Go for it!