Saturday, November 8, 2014

Pork Tenderloin with Farro, Sage, Mushrooms and Haricots Vert

On the way home from class tonight, I stopped at Trader Joe's and picked up a bunch of fresh things in the produce section and added some cheeses and meats on my way through the store. I figured I'd get creative once I was in my Marion kitchen.

One of the meats was a small pork tenderloin. Another extras were packages of farro and thin haricot green beans.  A few other leftovers in the frig would add to the dinner menu - scallions and sliced mushrooms. As the guys unpacked the car, I pulled out the rice cooker, a saute pan and a oven roasting casserole.

I preheated the oven to convection roast 350 degrees.  I placed the tenderloin in the casserole, sliced it down the middle and sprinkled some flaked sea salt and freshly ground pepper on top. I sliced some scallions, minced some garlic, added some dried sage and thyme and sprinkled all with finely chopped pecans, pushing them all into middle of the tenderloin.  On top of that I drizzled some LeRoux Porcini Olive Oil and placed it in the middle of the hot 350 degree oven to roast for 25 minutes.

Then I sauteed 1 pkg. of Trader Joe's farro in a few tablespoons of LeRoux Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil and stirred it on high until the farro was hot and crispy.  I added the farro to 1-1/2 cup of organic chicken stock in the rice cooker and turned it on. I placed 1/2 to 1 cup of coarsely-chopped fresh mushrooms into the saute pan with a bit of the LeRoux Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil and butter, some more flaked sea salt, pepper and dried sage and cooked the mushrooms until they were squeaky and browned on high. I shut them off and waited for the roasted tenderloin and farro to be done, adding the mushrooms to the farro.

The pork was just past pink and I sliced it into 1/4 inch slices and placed it with the garlic, scallions, pecans, etc. in the middle of a hot platter.  I scooped the hot farro with mushrooms around the sliced pork.  

The haricot vert (green beans steamed and then coated with butter) were served to accompany the dish. We all gobbled it up.  Great quick dinner I'll make again.