Sunday, November 26, 2017

Persimmon Cake

We had a persimmon salsa in one of our Blue Apron dinners a few weeks ago. My mother used to make a persimmon cake that we all loved, but this was when I was an adult and not a child - so I'd never bought, peeled or chopped one before. The cake just miraculously appeared on her table.

I saw a pile of persimmons in Trader Joe's last Tuesday and bought some. I knew the recipe was in my favorite Bundt cake book that my mother gave me over 40 years ago.

Persimmons seem to come in two shapes and I don't know the difference. The ones I bought were "flat" like a pumpkin. I've seen others that are shaped more like Roma tomatoes or acorns. They can be deep yellow or red. I'm not sure if there is a difference in taste. Persimmons ripen in the fall into the winter. Like an avocado, persimmons seem hard and unripe until they are suddenly ripe with black spots on their skin. Botanically, they are considered berries.

The cake is delicious and dense - I added sugary golden raisins and chopped pecans for the fruit and nuts. The persimmons are peeled and chopped. I set the aside in a bowl for a day or so in the frig to fully soften.

Combine 3 cups flour with 2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. allspice.

Cream 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups sugar in a large bowl until they are fully mixed and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time. Beat in 2 cups of chopped persimmons.

Add the flour mixture and then fold in 2 cups raisins (dark is called for in the recipe) and 2 cups chopped nuts. Pour the thick batter in a pan (I used bundt) and bake - 1-1/4 hours at 325 degrees or until it tests done. Don't overbake! Top with sugar glaze or ice cream when serving.

If you'd like to cook or bake with persimmons, Martha Stewart has 12 ways to enjoy them before this season is over.