Tuesday, November 21, 2023

We do Love Fruitcake

Yes, it's true. Despite its bad reputation, we love fruitcake. Especially Costco's. However, we haven't found it for a few years and just don't have time to find the answer to this mystery of where Costco's fruitcake went. Note: This recipe has no candied cherries or candied pineapple or citron.  Just dried figs, dates, plums, lemon peel, apricots, dried cherries, golden and dark raisins, candied ginger,  dried cranberries, diced almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia and pecans

November 30, 2023 Update:

It's baking day! The second batch is in the oven and the first batch is cooling. I accidentally preheated to 350 and the first batch was done a bit too soon and may be a bit overdone. 45 minutes for the smaller; 55 for the larger. I'm watching the next batches carefully. 

10 days of fruit marinating - I added another 3/4 of Goslings. Gerry has the sherry and Triple Sec ready and I've opened my package of cheesecloth (a finer grade this year with 10 pieces with hemmed edges.) I guess this is it.

I've got everything measured in separate containers so it makes it easy. I zested and juiced the lemons and oranges yesterday. All I have to prepare is the the grated apple for each batch. The ovens are preheated and I'm making five batches of 1 large bread pan and 4 small.

Next year, I'll use dark brown sugar. I mixed it up last year with some dark and some light. The dark is a richer taste and look to the cakes.

November 21, 2023 Update:

I found a small loaf in the freezer last month and Gerry and I enjoyed every on of the few bites. The dried fruit has been marinating in the rum for several days now.  I'm waiting on a delivery of the dried ginger today to add to it. I'll put the bowl with six pounds of fruit in the refrigerator until we arrive home from Thanksgiving in Maine. I've already crushed the combination of nuts (added Macadamia to the walnuts, almonds, pecans and pistachios this year) and put them aside to add into the five batches I will make this year. I added 2-1/2 cups of Goslings to the fruit this year, turning it over often to let the fruit soak it all in.

2022 Fruitcakes

So, I decided to make my own fruitcake inn 2022 and tweak it to taste like Costco. So, come along for the baking ride.

Ingredients:


3/4 c. packed brown sugar (either dark or light)
1/4 lb. unsalted butter, softened
5 eggs, whisked together
4 T. fresh orange juice
1 T. each fresh orange rind and fresh lemon rind

1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt

Chopped dried fruit of all kinds to equal about 1-1/4 pounds per batch and several cups of assorted chopped nuts. See below.

Instructions:

Today, I cut up much of the dried fruit I had in my pantry - figs, dates, plums, lemon peel, and apricots. Then I added in dried cherries, golden and dark raisins, candied ginger,, dried blueberries and dried cranberries. In total, I had 2600 grams of dried fruit or 5.75 pounds. I poured about 2 cups of Gosling's dark rum over this in a large, covered glass bowl. I am turning the fruit over every hour and then will leave it a day or so. Note: the dried fruit I assembled today is for three - four  cakes.

Today I also assembled 300 grams of diced almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and pecans and mix up the dry ingredients for three - four cakes. I'll dip about a cup of these into the batter for each batch.

The day I had the most time, I mixed 1-1/2 c. flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. allspice, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp salt. I set aside four mixtures of these in containers so that when I have time to bake (in segments because I am working this month.) I also measured the brown sugar into 3/4 cup - 1 cup containers (you might like it a bit sweeter) and made sure to take out 1 pound of butter and eggs in advance.


Each time you bake you will need to zest and squeeze and grate the fresh fruit.

Batter:

Cream 1/4 lb. softened butter and 3/4 -1 c. light brown sugar for 3 minutes. Reduce speed to add 5 eggs, one at a time until the eggs are incorporated. They may be a bit coarse-looking - don't worry to incorporate them totally. Lower the speed and add the dry ingredients. Add in 1 T. freshly zested lemon and 1 T. freshly zested orange and fresh orange juice from 1/2 orange. Add one grated Granny Smith apple and 3/4 - 1 cup of the nuts. Separate the marinated fruit into equal portions for as many batches that you are making. Note that you need 5-1/2 pounds for 4 cakes; 6-3/4 for 5 cakes. It's about 4 cups per bread. The more the better. You want a rich-with-fruit cake. Stir all well with a spatula and spoon into prepared pans. I lined bread pans with a rectangle of parchment and lightly grease. I am planning on making several sizes, including deep quiche pans lines with a round of parchment.



Bake at 300 degrees, rotating the pans halfway for 75 or 90 minutes. Batter should be set, golden brown and the edges of the cake should have pulled slightly from the edges. Remove


from oven, place on rack and cool.

  This slice was from a 3x6 mini pan. 


Eat slices with butter, whipped cream, cream cheese or ice cream. If you want a traditional fruitcake, soak cheesecloth in sherry or triple sec and wrap the fruitcakes for one week in the refrigerator.

See this recipe for the some inspiration. I don't know where I came up with mine! Most recipes call for candied pineapple and candied cherries and I don't use them.