Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sunday Strata

We sliced a French baguette last night thinking we'd use it for appetizers. Alas, we didn't. But I figured that it would make a great strata for Sunday morning. I buttered a roundish, shallow ceramic casserole (12x14) andI layered the whole bag of slices into the casserole that has a handled lid. I topped that with a cup of grated sharp cheese and 1/2 cup cooked bacon. (We had lots of bits of things in the frig from making dinner Friday night). Then I sautéed a whole sliced sweet onion with chopped parsley, sage leaves, salt and pepper, minced garlic and thyme leaves in olive oil. I topped the cheese with the onion and sprinkled 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan. I poured an egg-cream over it, pressed down to get everything creamy and put on the cover to sit overnight. The egg-cream was 8 eggs and two cups light cream with some salt and pepper. I'll bake it at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes and serve it with a spinach-egg-mushroom salad (see the recipes), a fresh greens salad with avocado and apricot-thyme goat cheese sprinkles, and chunky apple cake (see the recipes). Now I'll gave time in the morning to write!!