Sunday, October 19, 2014

Homely Hominy - With Chicken, Chiles, Olives and Peppers

Just to make sure you understand, the British definition of homely is 'simple but cozy and comfortable.'  This, of course, relates to space or location but in this case it relates to my description of hominy. My idea of comfort food.

I've always loved hominy and I'm not sure why because I've never known anyone to serve it to me and it wasn't used in my household growing up. It's a comfort food, like grits (which is ground corn). Hominy is dried corn kernels.  When cooked it is chewy and flavorful and it is a staple in the Mexican diet. I had planned to pressure-can the hominy that I found in the Portugese section of our grocery store on the South Coast but I learned that the pH is unbalanced for that purpose. Because I had already soaked it overnight, I wanted to use them immediately. I filled the crock pot with 1 qt. organic and free-range chicken broth, some minced onion flakes, freshly ground pepper, some chili-salt, 2 T. cumin and 2 tsp. paprika and set the crock pot on high.  About two hours later I had a perfect pot of hominy that I will figure out how to serve to Colin and Gerry, after having a nice-sized bowl of it myself for lunch! Because I've already added the seasonings, I think I will serve it which some chicken cooked in a mole sauce with diced peppers.

Update! They loved it. I sliced some frozen chicken breasts 1/4 inch thick and sauteed them in a bit of olive oil until they were cooked. I placed them in a casserole and covered them with some Tacolicious Mole Rojo Braising Sauce that I got on sale at the Williams-Sonoma outlet, added a half a can of Trader Joe's fire-roasted diced green chiles, 1/2 jar of Trader Joe's corn and chile salsa, and 1/2 can of Trader Joe's sliced black olives and then spread it with 1/2 pint of sour cream. I baked this for 1/2 hour at 350 before we left for Norwood and brought the chicken dish and hominy home.

Once home, I sauteed some small red,yellow and orange peppers and added the rest of the cans of chiles and olives and the jar of corn salsa.  On very hot plates, I plated the warmed homily, topped it with the chicken in sauce and then with the peppers.

It was delicious.  I'd serve it another time with tiny-sliced and baked corn chips and chopped cilantro rimming the dish.

They ate every bite (with the exception of a couple cups of hominy - there were about 2 left of 7.)