Monday, July 18, 2022

Roasted Garlic

 A few holidays ago, our neighbor Karen Alves gifted us with a jar of her homemade, signature-roasted garlic. It was delicious, and as we love garlic in everything, we went through the small jar very quickly. A batch of roasted garlic takes about 20 bulbs, or a whole bag from Costco. So far, I've been able to fill two to three small 4-ounce jars with roasted garlic. I might have to revise my recipe to only cloves because the whole bulb, roasted, leaves so much garlic puree behind.  

In any event, I cut the tip end of the bulb as close to the actual tip as possible and remove any dry excess papery skin. I place them tip up in a piece of foil (three to foil per foil), making sure I have enough foil to close them up. I drizzle olive oil over the bulb and sprinkle sea salt. I place some fresh thyme springs (you could use rosemary, too) under the bulbs. I wrap the foil into a tight pouch and I placed the pouches in a baking dish or on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees  

After they cool, I smash the bulbs and squeeze out the softened garlic.*

I used an immersion blender, making a roasted garlic paste with a bit more oil and sea salt.  I use about a tablespoon in lieu of some garlic and oil when cooking pretty much anything! Or use your food processor if you are roasting 4 lbs or so  

One bag from Costco about three or four 4-ounce Mason jars with lids. 

*I might have to revise my recipe to only cloves because the whole bulb, roasted, leaves so much garlic puree behind. Another idea is to cut the tips off about a third of the way and squeeze the smaller bits of raw garlic onto the rest of the bulb before roasting. I will also experiment with roasting for less time until the cloves are just soft, therefore keeping them somewhat whole. I hate wasting the garlic! I did take all the skin waste and simmered it in chicken stock making a broth. I drained the skins and pressed any soft garlic through. I plan to use it as a base for some soups. I'd like to figure out how to can and process this broth.