Monday, October 8, 2018

Sous Vide Center-Cut Beef Shanks and Butter-Poached Baby Potatoes

I've had my Anova Sous Vide stick for at least a year and a half and have never had the courage to use it! It seemed so complicated with its plastic bin, rack and heat cover.

This weekend, while searching for recipes online for center-cut beef shanks (a cheaper cut that needs to roast or cook for a long time to be tender), I decided to rip off that bandaid and get out the sous vide and vacuum sealer. Now, why did I wait so long?

And here's what I did:

I took each beef shank (1 pound each) and sprinkled it on both sides with freshly-ground salt and pepper. I placed a sliced onion and sliced garlic clove on top and a sprig of fresh thyme and vacuumed sealed each in its own bag. When the water bath had reached 155 degrees, I placed the bags in the rack ... and waited for the 20 hour cook. They will be done at 3 pm ... tomorrow.




I sliced the baby potatoes and sprinkled with freshly-ground salt and pepper. I placed them in vacuum bags with 1 long slice of butter and some fresh parsley. They will cook in a 195 degree water bath for two hours.

I also sliced large red beets and placed them in a vacuum bag and sealed with salt and pepper and some balsamic vinegar. They will cook in the 195 degree water bath for 45 minutes to an hour.



When all is done, the beef will be seared in a very hot pan for a minute or two a side before serving. The potatoes will be browned quickly in a hot pan. The beets will be dried with a paper towel, sprinkled with oil, more salt and pepper, roasted walnuts and goat cheese. In addition, I will roast a combination of sliced fennel, carrots, garlic, onions and red, yellow and orange peppers and serve my mother's spinach salad.  Bon appetit and Happy Indigenous People's Day!