Saturday, March 17, 2012

Welcome Home on St. Patrick's Day

I happened to choose to spend half of St. Patrick's Day in an Amtrak train car, snoozing, reading and wishing I were home much faster! (I've been away for five days at the Public Library Association conference in Philadelphia.) Gerry 'cooked' up a special drink to welcome me home. It's called 'The Last Word' and you can read about the history many places on the Web. I spent several moments thinking about why Gerry chose this drink. Let's just leave it at that. The Last Word. (Those who know me? You get it.)
It's a great St. Patrick's Day drink (green, after all) and a wonderful 'welcome home' drink. That's my guy, that Gerry! And, yes, there were red roses, too. Here's the official Last Word: 1/2 ounce gin 1/2 ounce lime juice 1/2 ounce green Chartreuse 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Source: recipe from "The Essential Bartender's Guide" by Robert Hess.