Sunday, July 17, 2011

Honey, Cheese, Pickles and Yogurt


This week was productive in our household! We made (well, the bees made) honey but we bottled it. The Literate Bees is in production!

We also made fresh yogurt with our new Waring Professional Yogurt Maker. So easy and so quick. When I saw what had happened in 12 hours overnight I was simply amazed!

In addition, we canned Bread and Butter pickles using the Victory Garden Pickle Kit that I bought at the Williams-Sonoma Outlet and gave Gerry for his birthday last fall. We have 3 more batches to make, dills and sweet pickles.

To top it all off, we made our first batch of fresh mozzarella cheese using Ricki's Cheesemaking Kit. Ricki is the Cheese-Making Queen of Western Massachusetts and her kits are so easy it will astound you. I bought the kit at Murray's Cheese Shop in Greenwich Village, NY for Gerry for Christmas and we just got around to it now. I made cheese at my book group about 2 years ago and it was so easy and so delicious that I have been waiting for the opportunity to show Gerry how to do it. We have 29 more batches left in the kit (each batch only takes 1 gallon of milk that we have to purchase. Garelick Farms is one of the best.) We'll be buying more cheesemaking kits from the Cheese Queen.

Hmmm. Foodie gifts. Sounds like a pattern.

I'd recommend them all. What fun.