Thursday, January 4, 2018

Bare Cupboard Chili for a Snow Day

The weather outside is frightful ... and the cupboards inside are not full! Nothing says snow day more than warm chili and fresh bread and sugary apple pie.

We are only in Norwood three nights a week these days (in Marion the other four) and we are either working late or making our Blue Apron or Marley Spoon dinners. We keep some staples in the cabinets and frig but are usually not very well stocked. So, what do to when there's a snow day in Norwood, a hungry teen home from college, and all of us looking for some warm comfort food? I had to improvise.( Luckily, I thought ahead and bought apples and ricotta and had the makings for fresh bread and an apple pie.)

In the freezer I found a pound of delicious Walden Meats ground beef and five links of Italian sausage. I had no tomatoes - either fresh or canned so I got out my stool and braved the depths of the cupboards.

In them I found a chili seasoning pack, several cans or packs of beans (including one Bush's Grillin' Beans with chipotle seasoning and vegetables), some tomato paste and a jar or salsa. There were several cans of Corona that I substituted for water or stock. I threw it all in the crockpot with some sugar (to counteract the beer bitterness) and some dried chopped onion. A few hours on high and a few on low and we had a luscious warm and spicy chili.