Monday, November 14, 2011

Bettye's Banana Bread

This weekend we had three bananas that had ripened beyond deliciousness and so I dug out my favorite banana bread recipe. I don't bake much anymore because we simply cannot afford the calories of such a decadent snack. I've had this recipe for years and years. It's from a 1971 cookbook given to me by my mother - The Gift-Giver's Cookbook by Jane Green and Judith Choate. I made a few changes to the recipe 40 years later. I added a tsp. of black walnut extract and 1 cup of chopped walnuts and baked them in a muffin pan which I did many times when my children were growing up. The recipe made 12 nicely rounded muffins.

Bettye's Banana Bread:
1/3 cup of butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
3 mashed bananas
1-3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. black walnut extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream the butter and two eggs and then add the sugar. Stir in the mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients and mix very well. Add the flavorings and chopped nuts.

Bake about 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.